STATS AND FACTS ABOUT PARIS:
- Population: Approximately 2.2 million people (3.6% of total French population)
- Average yearly high temperature: 16 degrees C (60.8 degrees F)
- Average yearly low temperature: 9 degrees C (48.2 degrees F)
- Average visitors per year: Over 25 million
- High tourist season: July and August
- Time zone: Paris is 6 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time and 9 hours ahead of Pacific Standard Time.
- Currency: Euros
Paris Geography and Orientation:
- Paris is the political, cultural, and intellectual capital of France.
- Elevation: 27 meters (90 feet above sea level)
- Surface Area: 105 square km. (41 square miles)
- Geographical Situation: Paris is located in Central Northern France, at the heart of a region (departement) called Ile de France. The city does not border any major body of water and is relatively flat.
- The Seine river cuts through the city center East to West. The Marne river flows through suburbs east of Paris.