Sunday 11 December 2011

CONTEXT OF PRACTICE:TASK FOUR//GRAPHIC DESIGNERS//OUGD401

Jean Mosambi




Jean Mosambi from France:
How has your upbringing and or environment inspired you or shaped your design process?
I have always been interested in images – as a child, I used to read lots of comics. Then I started skating. Though I was better at shooting skaters than skating myself. So I went deeply into photography.  At that time skating and hip-hop were connected, I’ve discovered the graffiti scene and so on. Actually many things are linked and as I’m curious I always try to go deeper.
Who or what are some of your design inspirations?
I’m old-fashioned. Most of the things I love have been created before the 60’s – fashion, design, cinema, music – Moreover I had the chance to live in different places in the world and for sure it has an influence on me and my work.
Talk about your creative process.
Everyday I spend several hours looking for images, old ads, posters, album covers from different countries and decades. I select some of them and try to reproduce or to re-adapt them. For me it’s a dedication of all the great work that has already been done.

What I like about the work: use of imagery, type and layout, interesting images, dated sixties/seventies vintage style, stock.
Email: jeanmosambi@gmail.com

Scott Albrecht

Born in 1983 in New Brunswick, NJ, and raised in a small town called Bethlehem Township, NJ, Scott Albrecht is an artist/designer currently based in Brooklyn, NY. A graduate of The Art Institute of Philadelphia in 2003, his work has been exhibited and published Internationally. In 2006, he co-founded the collective blog PROCESS, a site focused on the creative process of artists and creative individuals. A self-taught woodworker with a passion for hand-drawn typography, Albrecht utilizes classic techniques with contemporary style. Much like the organic line elements of rendering type by hand, Albrecht has found joy in the imperfections that are his own.  
http://scottyfivealive.com/
INTERVIEW WITH SCOTT ALBRECHT:
My proudest creative moment was… when I was about 8 or 9 years old, I had discovered my Dad’s light table and began tracing my favorite cartoon characters, mostly Looney Tunes characters at that time. I was so impressed with my newfound handy work, I decided to send some ‘originals’ to Warner Brothers. A couple months later, I received a signed glossy of Bugs and the gang with a personal message from Bugs Bunny himself saying “Dear Scott – Keep up the good work. Love Bugs”. I still have it framed in my apartment.

My greatest style influence is… my Dad. He never ceases to amaze me with just about everything he does. His drive and passion for what he does is an ongoing source of inspiration for me.

I’m currently working on… A solo exhibition titled SOMETHINGMISTAKENFORNOTHING at The Curiosity Shoppe in San Francisco. The show is a culmination of works from the last year or so that in a nutshell focuses primarily on the idea of discarded interactions and resuscitating lost sentiment. I also just relaunched a website with a couple of friends called Process. Process is a collective blog aimed to spotlight the creative process of artists and creative individuals. The site features a wide range of content from artist features for inspiration to exclusive interviews, studio visits and more.

A day in my life is… not long enough.

The one font I never want to see again is… the one that looks like it’s been horribly photoshopped.

Things i like about Scott Albrecht's work:pattern, stock, colours, simplistic, optimism, intriguing, typeface, hand rendered.

CONTACT:scottyfivealive@gmail.com


NOBROW

Mikkel Sommer:

 NB: What inspires and informs your work
MS: Hard to say really. Films, books and art for the most part. I also tend to get feverishly productive after doing the dishes, which is both counterproductively constuctive and buckets of fun. As in the two words from the question, I often find that seemingly pointless information can lead to great inspiration.
NB: Tell us a bit about your process…
MS: I normally spend aeons on overthinking every step of a project. It honestly doesn’t really bring me anything solid, but is the pattern I see myself following over and over again for some reason. Never really been a big sketcher, so I usually go straight to business. This approach gives me a lot of freedom, as well as an otherwise almost unattainable intuitive energy. I’ve tried to force this expression many a time, but often failing.




Nobrow (TM) was set up in the winter of 2008 to provide an independent publishing platform for illustration and the graphic arts that would showcase some of the best talent out there today, whether fresh out of college or from the ranks of well seasoned veterans.
Our aim is to place a renewed focus on quality in print, using wherever possible the best materials we can get our hands on and always trying to play with format, color, size and design to ensure that our publications are well conceived and individual. We work closely with locally based printers wherever possible so that we can be involved in the creative process from start to finish and we always try to achieve finished products that are not only filled with great work, but that themselves are art objects, to be coveted, collected and cherished.
Nobrow Press is all about publishing beautifully tactile illustrated books. Our main publishing imprint, Nobrow Press endeavors to push the boundaries of the offset printing process to ensure that colour, format and paper quality combine to produce publications that are not just books, but collectible art objects. Many of our publications are individually numbered and run in editions of between 3000 and 5000 copies, our unique system of printing full spot colour publications gives our books the luxuriant quality of artists’ books albeit at very affordable prices.
Nobrow Small Press is all about screenprinting. We have a fully equipped screenprint studio on our premises and work with many different artists, illustrators and designers to create beautifully crafted books and prints. Our editions are extremely limited, we never do more than 100 of anything. Everything we produce is signed and numbered by the artist and embossed with the Nobrow Small Press seal.
Things I like about NOBROW's work:style of drawing,colour, format, illustrations, bright, bold, playful.
CONTACT: Nobrow Ltd.
62 Great Eastern Street,
London, EC2A 3QR
(+44) 0207 033 4430

No comments:

Post a Comment