Sunday 4 March 2012

COMMUNICATION IS A VIRUS//TRY SOMETHING NEW RESEARCH MOTOWN OUGD406

GENRE RESEARCH: MOTOWN
I'm looking at motown as a genre, music movement etc. to see what I can get to help create my designs for the cover sleeves etc.


MOTOWN
Above the front windows of Motown Records' Detroit headquarters was a sign that read "Hitsville U.S.A." Placed there by Motown founder Berry Gordy soon after his company moved into the modest home at 2648 W. Grand Blvd, the sign demonstrated Gordy's blazing — and at the time, unearned — arrogance. Then the slogan came true.
Founded on Jan. 12, 1959, Motown quickly became another Detroit factory; where the Big Three produced automobiles, Motown assembled the soul and pop classics that changed America. There's no hyperbole in that statement. Arriving at the height of the civil rights movement, Motown was a black-owned, black-centered business that gave white America something they just could not get enough of — joyous, sad, romantic, mad, groovin', movin' music.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1870975,00.html


FAMOUS ARTISTS:




BIG MOTOWN SONGS:
 1. I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
  2. My Girl - Temptations 
  3. Reach Out I'll Be There - Four Tops
  4. Where Did Our Love Go? - Supremes
  5. What's Goin' On? - Marvin Gaye
  6. Dancing in the Street - Martha & The Vandellas
  7. I Want You Back - Jackson 5
  8. Superstition - Stevie Wonder
  9. Please Mr. Postman - Marvelettes
10. My Guy - Mary Wells
11. (Love Is Like a) Heat Wave - Martha & The Vandellas
12. Do You Love Me? - Contours
13. Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye
14. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell 
15. The Tracks of My Tears - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
16. Shotgun - Jr. Walker & The All Stars
17. I'll Be There - Jackson 5
18. Baby Love - Supremes
19. Papa Was a Rollin' Stone - Temptations
20. Uptight (Everything's Alright) - Stevie Wonder
21. I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) - Four Tops
22. The Tears of a Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
23. Stop! In the Name of Love - Supremes
24. You've Really Got a Hold On Me - Miracles
25. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) - Temptations
26. Baby I Need Your Lovin' - Four Tops 
27. You Are the Sunshine of My Life - Stevie Wonder
28. Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
29. Money (That's What I Want) - Barrett Strong
30. Leavin' Here - Eddie Holland
31. Shop Around - Miracles 
32. You Keep Me Hangin' On - Supremes
33. You Can't Hurry Love - Supremes
34. Endless Love - Lionel Richie & Diana Ross
35. Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder
36. Ooo Baby Baby - Miracles
37. Nowhere To Run - Martha & The Vandellas
38. It Takes Two - Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston 
39. War - Edwin Starr 
40. I Second That Emotion - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
41. Super Freak Part I - Rick James
42. Stevie Wonder - Living For the City
43. I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & The Pips
44. Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder
45. Ain't Too Proud To Beg - Temptations
46. I Can't Get Next To You - Temptations
47. Cloud Nine - Temptations
48. Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today) - Temptations
49. Smiling Faces Sometimes - Undisputed Truth
50. This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak For You) - Isley Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment